16.8.16

That voice that called me a year ago

A year ago, I made a pivotal decision in my life.  It was not an easy decision as it meant letting go of a job that gives promising salary and other many perks.   But there was this insistent voice that keeps on calling me every sleepless night.  I never listened to it at first for it sounded absurd.  I was already in my comfort zone, why else let go of it.  The more that I disregarded it, all the more that it became louder until it manifested to me clearly – let go and have faith!  And so I let go, ventured into something that is unknown while embracing a leap of faith.
Now I fully understand what that voice meant.  I needed to take two steps backward for me to have a good jumpstart.
A time in my life when I said that I wanted to meet people of brilliant minds with good hearts, people of different nationalities and people who are diplomats and I met them all in a one of a kind wonderful experience.  Have I not listened to that insistent voice calling me to be more grounded to the realities of poverty, inequities and inequalities, I would never had ticked this out of my bucket list.
In June 2016, I went to Geneva, Switzerland to help the Bla’an people of Tampakan to be heard.   It was my pleasure to be of their service.  I was so honored to be bringing (translating) the voices of the Bla’an royalties into the United Nations Human Rights Council.  It has never dawned on me before that my aptitude in the English language will be the bridge between the oppressed Bla’an people and the international world.  I am praying that through this bridge, these people will have once more their dignity as a tribe – they will never be left out but clearly heard, not again would they be displaced for reasons of development.
In my year of being with the Bla’an, of knowing their culture and history, I learned that I owed something to the Bla’an people and it is the fact that the space – literally space where I am enjoying my so-called home was once theirs.  According to a Bla’an old man who chanted their history to us while doing a genealogy, Koronadal City which they call Kolon Datal was their hunting ground.  And they decided to move to the mountains because the “Christian” (perhaps he refers in general the settlers from Luzon and Visayas) arrived in Kolon Datal and started claiming their grounds.
Perhaps that insistent voice wants me to hear this story so that I will see it as my moral obligation to help the Bla’an people.  Perhaps this insistent voice wants me to change into a more sensible person and sensitive to the rights of others.
Perhaps this insistent voice is the voice of my God who wants me for a purpose – for His Glory!

No comments:

Read on...

Read on...