5.11.13

Only in the Philippines (part 2)

It is also sad to note how we are so obsessed with 'utang na loob' or debt of gratitude.  This is prevalent during elections where options who to vote is on the basis on what has been given by who.  Then after the election, it is the payback time - not that the common Filipino will benefit from it.  The payback time means getting back what has been given to the common Filipinos.  
The issue on pork barrel/Janet Lim Napoles/ fake NGOs is the tangible adverse effect of this debt of gratitude.  As it seems the alleged involved legislators spend so much during the campaign period.  Perhaps, the many freebies inherent in their position is not enough to return what they had invested for the votes.  In short, the pork barrel, as it seems is used to ensure return of investment.  

In this issue the losing end is the common Filipino.  I am a common Filipino and I can feel the burden.  I am paying my monthly tax in an exact amount up to the last centavo.  There are even times that the withheld tax is more that my net home pay - these are the times where I become too generous of curses to corrupt politicians.  I tried computing all the taxes withheld from my monthly salary.  To my dismay my total tax is equivalent to my two-month salary.  Now I see the reason why the common Filipinos cannot save for the future expenses.  How can they when for the twelve months of hard work, only ten months remain in the pockets of the common Filipino? The salary for two months is remitted to the government as taxes.  Simply put, a common Filipino works for twelve months, spend for twelve months but collects a salary only for ten months.  How could there be an excess income for saving? 

No comments:

Read on...

Read on...