24.1.08

Father Scholar



The death of Fr. Rey Roda in Tabawan, Tawi-tawi resulted to mourning among the people he had helped - among Christians and Muslims alike. I personally, haven’t met Fr. Rey but I heard so much about him from a friend I met in Zamboanga City. I can see the love and admiration of my friend for him as she narrated all the good things he had done for her and her family. It seemed to me that despite difference in religion (my friend is a Muslim girl), Fr. Rey became a member of my friend’s family. Not a hint from her stories of Fr. Rey had he desired to change them or their religious conviction.

I don’t know how to console my friend. I am anxious to ask her “Are you ok?” when I know that she is not ok, that all is not ok. I know it is hard for her to accept Fr. Rey’s death considering of how brutal he died. I may not have met Fr. Rey in person but it still made me wince every time I imagine his anguish before he died. Sometimes, it made question, “why would our death be so painful for the one we love?” Fr. Rey had been good, he had poured out all his heart to the people of Tabawan – he certainly doesn’t deserve such cruelty. He had chosen to die once, when he chose to turn his back from what the luxuries the world could have offered him, when he preferred to be with others than his family, when he decided to gave up his personal longings just as other’s dreams may live. Now, he had his second death violently.

I wonder how could justice be mete out. How could his assassins repay the people he had assisted and deeply loved? Would sending them to prison enliven the compassion of Fr. Rey, would it still make dreams come true, would it still bring progress for the people of Tabawan?

On the other hand, Fr. Rey’s death could be a call to the people of Tabawan, to everyone – a call for peace. That we could be united just as the people who loved Fr. Rey became one in mourning. Both Muslims and Christians similarly grieved. I hope the next time a multitude will be one it will no longer be for a reason of bereavement but for change and victory.

I wish I had met him too.

No comments:

Read on...

Read on...